This is a great recipe when making rice to accompany a stir fry or even to have on its own.
The turmeric stains the rice an impressive Royal gold while, at the same time, adding its spice to the rice in reflection of the balmy warmth of an exotic South East Asian evening. Cooked in coconut milk with a splash of vanilla essence, this rice is also mellow and seductively smooth.
I make this rice without a rice cooker, but you could also use a rice cooker by adding coconut milk and water to rice in rice cooker then seasoning once cooked. This recipe is reproduced here with thanks to Sami Bloom.
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice uncooked
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- pinch sea salt
- crack of black pepper, to taste.
- In a small pot, bring the water and coconut milk to a boil and then add washed jasmine rice. Allow to reach boiling point before lowering the heat.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, vanilla essence and sea salt and mix through.
- Cover and let cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Make sure all the water is absorbed and stir the rice before serving.